I've addressed your concern and deprecated the use of
PDFEncryptionParams in FOUserAgent (D15). The encryption parameters can
now be set through the already existing RendererOptions Map on
FOUserAgent. The parameters can either be set separately or as
PDFEncryptionParams (I prefer to use the latter).

If anyone has time to implement the generic renderer options to the CLI,
he/she is welcome to do that.

You proposed using a Properties object. The problem I see here is that
non-String values cannot be used whereas with the existing renderer
options Map this is possible. Using a Map can be particularly useful in
cases where you need to pass, for example, a ContentHandler or a
PrinterJob object to the renderer. Obviously, some of the renderers will
still need to be extended to allow for such things but the way is free
and I already see the need for that. It is nicer/cleaner to use the
renderer options instead of having to instantiate and setting up the
Renderer yourself for particular situations.

Fetching parameter values from the configuration file is also already
solved by the configure() methods in the Renderers. These methods just
need to be extended to retrieve the desired values.