(was getting a bit too much OT for fop-users...)

On Feb 28, 2006, at 19:07, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

<snip />
I think I found what's causing the question-marks to appear in the
RTF output...

See org.apache.fop.render.rtf.RTFHandler, line 150. An
OutputStreamWriter is instantiated, which uses the default platform
encoding. Should be enough to force this Writer to use UTF-8, I think.

Nope, according to the RTF spec, the output should be in "US-ASCII"
(7-bit) for portability. UTF-8 is definitely not supported by RTF

Oops! Sorry, my mistake. Anyway, relying on the default platform encoding is just as definitely wrong. :-)

but I think it's possible to use various 8-bit character sets and Unicode
escapes if the proper commands are generated. The Microsoft RTF spec
lists what is possible.

Already took a closer look at this, and this seemed already handled in RTFStringConverter. So, I wondered and wandered, and found that --see RTFListItem.RTFListItemLabel-- currently RTFListStyleBullet is unused. We know only RTFListStyleNumber and RTFListStyleText.

Cheers,