On 28.02.2006 22:16:05 J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Simon Pepping wrote:
> > It aims to be _the_ Java access library to Unicode. As FOP becomes
> > more Unicode aware, can we do without it? Perhaps it also has anything
> > on UAX#14, line breaking?
>
> It has the tables, but not the algorithm.

Did you see that there's a BreakIterator in ICU4J?
http://icu.sourceforge.net/userguide/boundaryAnalysis.html
This page claims that ICU supports TR14 (=UAX#14?). Most of what is
available in the C version also seems to have been ported to Java.

> Java has already the BreakIterator as algorithm implementation, but
> no direct access to the line breaking properties itself, which thwarts
> attempts to have an alternative implementation based on already
> available data :-(
> Same for BIDI :-(, although Java's interface to the BIDI related
> algorithms are better than the BreakIterator attempt, fortunately.
>
> > Is there a way to make it an optional extension to java's Unicode
> > support, to be installed by those users who want to use Unicode
> > features in FOP that go beyond the ordinary? Most such users may
> > already have it installed.
>
> I'd go for a pluggable "algorithm providers", as already proposed
> several times for various purposes. Algorithms based on ICU presence
> could be preferred, while falling back to a more crude implementation
> if ICU is not presend.
>
> BTW ICU has lots of other interesting features relevant for I18N,
> look for example at the calender section or the number formatting.

It looks like ICU4J is a nice toolbox with many little wonders. Even a
guide to scaling down the library [1]. :-) Well, we probably don't need
to calendar section, do we? If you guys tell me that it would be
worthwhile to take this library (or parts of it) aboard, I'm fine with
it. I just want to be sure that it's for more than just determining the
class of certain characters. Does anyone of you plan to work on the
UAX#14 stuff? The license of ICU4J should be ok. It's almost the same as
the already approved X.Net license. Just needs a sanity check with the
VP Legal Affairs.

[1]
http://dev.icu-project.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/icu4j/readme.html#HowToModularize