On 05.03.2006 21:55:44 Simon Pepping wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 10:03:29PM +0100, Simon Pepping wrote:

> > > If this is preferred, no objections. However, not all output formats take
> > > an OutputStream which means an increase of factory methods.
> >
> > For those formats that do require an OutputStream the created object
> > is inconsistent, and one is only notified at runtime. The presence of
> > another factory method at least suggests that it under some
> > circumstances it may be necessary to create the object with an
> > OutputStream.
>
> Added the methods. As you see from my example, I prefer early testing
> of the consistency of the Fop object.

OK. However, I don't like your catching the IllegalStateException in the
example code. An IllegalStateException is a descendant of
RuntimeException and normally indicates a programmer error. It's not
something that is usually caught. The example code should be instructive
to the normal Java developer and should not distract with that try/catch
around the getDefaultHandler() method IMO.