I've made some further tests with page-position="last" and stumbled over
the following:

<fo:page-sequence-master master-name="all">
    <fo:conditional-page-master-reference page-position="any"
master-reference="any-page"/>
    <fo:conditional-page-master-reference page-position="last"
master-reference="last-page"/>
</fo:page-sequence-master>

This will currently never trigger the last page because the conditionals
are checked from top to bottom choosing the first match. I think this is
also defined like this by the spec. See 6.4.10 in XSL 1.0.

If you put the element with page-position="last" before the one with
"any", the last page is properly selected.

IMO, this is all fine considering the spec, but possibly unexpected from
a user's POV. I'm also comfortable with this, provided this is "correct
behaviour". Does anyone think I got this wrong or is there still
something we should do about this?