Simon Pepping wrote:

Hi,

I read the long discussion between Jeremias and Chris, and Jörg's
note.

I do not like the idea of extension elements. I think, here I refer
back to a recent post by Glen about standard FO files. I like the idea
of a configuration file. Even a different configuration file for each
single document is not a bad thing, possibly in addition to a more
permanent configuration file with more permanent data like
fonts. Surely most users do not like to write a configuration file
often, but maybe someone can write a GUI for them to fire off FOP with
the desired configuration.

This sounds like it could be hard work for the user. I don't like this approach for that reason.

I also have a feeling of reinvention, not of TeX/DVI, but of the
wheel. I do not know really much about printing. But I imagine this
procedure. When I ask an application like Acrobat to print a file, it
pops up a dialog. The dialog reads a printer capabilities file, as a
PPD file or from the printer driver or from some other source. So the
user makes a choice and the application inserts the appropriate
commands for the user's choice into the output file. FOP is such a
application, so that is what it should do. Do all these applications
do the work themselves? I do not think so. They use a framework. Isn't
Java's framework the Java Printing System? So FOP should use that.

You are right FOP should not be concerning itself with the details of Printing and that should be left to an external system. However media selection cannot be determined without some input from the user. IMO, these hints should live in the FO file, but they should be minimal and not the entire configuration as Jeremias was suggesting.

So definitely a configuration external to the FO file. And something
like the Java Printing System to know the installed printer
configuration and provide the user with the appropriate GUI and
choice.

Well, its not always possible to show a GUI. That might work well for Acrobat, but when FOP is used in a Batch Processing engine running on a Unix server how will it prompt the user for media selection?

Regarding a configuration file per printing run, recently a similar
possibility was put forward for the user preferences for
printer-specific image handling and other options. In a recent
fop-user post I suggested the idea of hyphenation exceptions in a
configuration file.

I agree hyphenation exceptions should belong in a configuration file. I would imagine that once the exceptions have been worked out they will remain constant for a long time and will not change between documents, like media selection can.

Chris