If I understood Philippe correctly, he got that value from an OpenOffice
file. He said he'd try to change it. Anyway, despite this being a poor
use case, this is still something we should keep in sight. Even I have
seen strange effects of border painting inside Acrobat Reader because of
effects from anti-aliasing, for example, two border with the same width
but not displaying at the same width.

You're right. It's not a FOP bug, it's a glitch in Acrobat Reader but
always the easily reachable party is blamed. I have myself filed a bug
against Adobe Acrobat once before and never heard a word back. That's
life. :-)