I recently found that FOP currently does not properly parse the
font-family property as specified in the XSL spec [1]. However, it says
that you can quote the font names. Maybe that helps you already.

I don't think anyone has paid much attention to the font family names in
use. It's also important to note that in certain cases spaces are not
permitted in font names. So, if the above trick doesn't help it would be
good if you could lay out the details of your problem in a more detailed
fashion. I don't know about Altova style vision so you'll have to dive
in yourself to help solve the problem.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#font-family