Hi Jeremias,

Jeremias Maerki a écrit :
did you already investigate how footnotes are implemented? Can you say
anything about how similar the problem of footnotes is to before-floats?
Just so you don't have to start from scratch while there may be
something to build upon. After all, the footnotes also contain some
logic to move certain parts to a different page than where anchor is
located.

I'm certainly planning to look at how footnotes are implemented. There
will probably be things to share in this area. My feeling right now is
that floats may be easier to deal with as they are not required to
appear on the same page as their citation.

Another thing that we may need to keep in mind: There was lots of desire
from the user community that FOP supports large documents (long-term
goal, not necessary yours). I wrote that a first-fit algorithm could
help free memory earlier. Obviously, for complex before-float situations
a total-fit approach is probably more interesting as it can come up with
more "creative" solutions. I'm just mentioning it so we keep the bigger
picture in mind and since there could be conflicting goals.

Actually it is stated in the project's goals that two algorithms be
implemented: a quick, memory-friendly one (first/best fit) and a
high-quality, slow, memory-consuming one (total fit). It seems that
best-fit will be similar to first-fit in terms of process- and
memory-consumption, yet better in quality. But this has still to be
investigated. Also, some work might be shared with Patrick as the
page-breaking algorithm will affect automatic layout of tables, as far
as I understand.