Sure, travel and accomodation will produce some expenses but you're
forgetting the rather high fee for attending ApacheCon (for mere mortals
like normal committers, for example) which (sadly) caused many people
not to go there. I hope that'll be better next time. There will probably
be at least a small fee even for ASF members in the interest of making
it a little cheaper for non-members.