Hey gang,

a client asks me to implement some kind of widow/orphan setting for
lists and tables so that no single list item or table cell is left alone
on a page, if that list item or cell only contains 1 or 2 lines. In
general, you could use keep-with-next and keep-with-previous to hold the
first and last two items/rows together. But if the content is larger
than 2 or 3 lines and you don't really know how big the content is you
will want to use the space better. My client realizes that he can do
some approximation in XSLT but he'd prefer to have FOP do that.
Naturally, this is an extension to XSL-FO.

Instead of counting lines (in case of images, for example), this setting
could also depend on the height of the first/last list item/row, i.e. if
the first row is not higher than 2em keep it together with the second
row. That would make the implementation a lot easier.

I could imagine properties like orphan-height and widow-height on
fo:table and fo:list-block for that purpose.

I hope I was able to explain it. Any thoughts?