I doubt anyone currently has much time to write such documentation. Yes,
the design document on the web is outdated and the Wiki does not contain
an overview of the whole layout engine. That's not so good but reflects
how many resources we have for this project. It requires that we set our
priorities on the absolutely necessary. Sorry. Simon once wrote some
extensive documentation about the layout engine, but that applied to the
design before the switch to the Knuth element model.