On Nov 13, 2006, at 11:06, Andrejus Chaliapinas wrote:

<snip />
I've tested Andreas approach with tables and column numbers/spans but later found it as very particular font specific (correct chars per tab calculation having in mind possible different text styles is almost equal to the task of space leader length calculation between 2 parts separated by tab stop - at
least it seems so for me).

Yep. That's what I meant by 'it will only be reliable in case of non- proportional fonts', and even then there's the possibility of a simple bold (or bolder) font-weight, but also --far more complicated-- I imagine things like kerning and letter-spacing could wreck the game, unfortunately.

It's really only suited for simple transformations of tabulated plain- text to, for example, a Courier font (where the number of characters per tab stop is easy/straightforward to predict).

Oh well, it was worth a try :)

Cheers,