On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 04:32:09PM -0800, Nicol Bolas wrote:
> Well, consider this.
>
> I know what a .bat file is; I know how to use one. I don't know what a "cmd"
> or a "js" startup script is. If I need to modify the .bat file, I can read
> it, understand it, and use it without looking something up online. A lot of
> Windows users who would be interested in FOP are in pretty much the same
> boat.
>
> So what would be gained from using a relatively obscure script format rather
> than a .bat file?

In the past three months we have had two incidents where the startup
script fop.bat lagged behind the update of a jar file. One such
incident forced me to cancel 100MB of candidate release files, fix
that batch file and create and upload 100MB of new candidate release
files.

You would not gain anything as long as we suffer the pain of
maintaining the startup script in the age-old, powerless batch
language designed for x86 computers in 1990. We would gain the comfort
of a more powerful language, which is able to find out itself if a jar
file has changed version number. In addition, the javascript file
offers customizability to the users.

Until someone creates a comfortable GUI for FOP, you better learn what
cmd and js files are. Or at least, you learn that you can execute them
by double clicking on them, just as the batch file.

B.T.W. the cmd and bat file languages are the same language on recent
Windows systems. It is just that the batch file does not use more
powerful features of that language, in order to enable you to run the
same on a Windows 98 computer. My Windows 98 system broke down quite a
while ago, but there seem to be people who are kinder to it, and have
kept it alive until now.

Simon, who prefers to spend his time and efforts on forward looking
features

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.eu