Andreas L Delmelle schrieb:
Yet another way to look at it: the result of a total-fit strategy is the best-fit for the entire page-sequence, which can be viewed as the result of multiple total-fits for subsets of the page-sequence, especially where forced page-breaks are involved. If we place a forced break-after="page" on the first block in a document, the total-fit result for the first page can in general be determined long before knowing anything else about the document.

Though my knowledge about fop-internals are very limited I think forced page-breaks are a good point to finish the layout of the pages before and release flow-content. For context-data and static content there is no chance to do so.