For either my suggestion or Andreas' further proposal we would certainly need to do a little bit of refactoring, abstracting out all those member config variables in FopFactory into a base configuration object. This base configuration object would be a singleton and *unmodifiable* and would only serve the function of providing the default fallback configuration settings A second user agent configuration object would be created per user agent, this configuration would be modifiable. The user agent configuration would derive configuration values from the base configuration when values were not provided programmatically through API on the fly. A third configuration object could represent the document level configuration. This would be created on construction of the FO tree and it would derive its default values from the user agent configuration which in turn would derive its values (in their absence) from the base configuration. Hope I explained how that would work clearly enough, does that make sense?

Adrian.

Jeremias Maerki wrote:
I'm not sure I like this whole thing, yet. Of course, your suggestion is
fine. But there's one thing that needs to be figured out: The
configuration is applied to the FopFactory. Having the configuration on
this level provides a multi-threading problem as multiple rendering runs
might simultaneously modify the configuration of the shared FopFactory.