Hi,

Vincent has made a very interesting initiative with his unified
approach to page and line breaking. I always felt that it was too
ambitious, but Vincent has taken the leap, and proved himself right by
providing a prototype. I tested the prototype with some texts of
myself, and the results looked good. The dot files illustrating the
results are a very nice feature. Now I am trying to understand his
approach in more detail. I have little time, so I am going slowly.

The fact that the prototype is written in Ruby does not help. I have
never worked with Ruby before, so I have to get used to new
syntax. More importantly, I do not have good tools for Ruby. When I
try to understand code, I do not only read it. I also make extensive
use of a debugger. This allows me to see what the code actually does
to variables, in this case e.g. how the code fills the various layouts
variables, and links them back to earlier layouts. Is there a plugin
for Ruby in Eclipse that allows me to do this? Or is there another
useful tool that can help me here?

I think it would be useful if it can be proven in some way that this
approach allows one in principle to take side floats into
account. That is, different line widths on a page, based on offset on
the page. And also calculate the demerits of alternative placements of
such a side float, such as on this page or on the next one. No actual
implementation but the firm conviction that such an extension fits
into the framework.

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping