Greetings FOP Folks,

I thought I'd let you know (in case you didn't already 'hear') that
the ISO has a new standard[1]:

  ISO 32000-1, Document management – Portable document format – Part 1: PDF 1.7

Here're some choice pieces from the article...

The Portable Document Format (PDF), undeniably one of the most
commonly used formats for electronic documents, is now accessible as
an ISO International Standard - ISO 32000-1. This move follows a
decision by Adobe Systems Incorporated, original developer and
copyright owner of the format, to relinquish control to ISO, who is
now in charge of publishing the specifications for the current version
(1.7) and for updating and developing future versions.

"By releasing the full PDF specification for ISO standardization, we
are reinforcing our commitment to openness", says Kevin Lynch, Chief
Technology Officer at Adobe. "As governments and organizations
increasingly request open formats, maintenance of the PDF
specification by an external and participatory organization will help
continue to drive innovation and expand the rich PDF ecosystem that
has evolved over the past 15 years."

The new standard, ISO 32000-1, Document management – Portable document
format – Part 1: PDF 1.7, is based on the PDF version 1.7 developed by
Adobe. This International Standard supplies the essential information
needed by developers of software that create PDF files (conforming
writers), software that reads existing PDF files and interprets their
contents for display and interaction (conforming readers), and PDF
products that read and/or write PDF files for a variety of other
purposes (conforming products).

Enjoy!

[1] PDF format becomes ISO standard
http://www.iso.org/iso/pressrelease.htm?refid=Ref1141