On 10.02.2009 13:22:01 Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> Hi Jeremias,
>
> A few suggestions:
>
> > Author: jeremias
> > Date: Fri Feb  6 16:27:13 2009
> > New Revision: 741616

> > Log:
> > Updated intermediate format documentation.
> >
> > Added:
> >
> > xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AreaTreeNewDesign/src/documentation/resources/images/if-architecture-overview.png
> >    (with props)
>
> What software did you use to produce this image? You may want to also
> commit the source file, so that others can edit it if necessary.

Inkscape. I'll add the original file shortly.

> <snip/>
> >      <section id="introduction">
> >        <title>Introduction</title>
> > -        The intermediate format (IF) is a proprietary XML format that
> > represents the area tree
> > -        generated by the layout engine. The area tree is conceptually
> > defined in the
> > +        Apache FOP now provides two different so-called intermediate
> > formats. The first one
> > +        (let's call it the area tree XML format) is basically a 1:1 XML
> > representation of the FOP's
> > +        area tree generated by the layout engine. The area tree is
> > conceptually defined in the
> >          <a
> > href="http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/slice1.html#section-N742-Formatting";>XSL-FO
> >  specification in chapter 1.1.2</a>.
> > -        The IF can be generated through the area tree XML Renderer (the
> > XMLRenderer).
>
> Renaming this class into AreaTreeRenderer or AreaTreeXMLRenderer will
> probably allow to avoid confusion in the future.

-1 to that. Will break backwards-compatibility for those who are using
this renderer directly. It would break at least two pieces of software I
have. If you you generate SAX events
(AbstractXMLRenderer.setContentHandler()), working with MIME types isn't
enough. Besides, I don't think that would really improve the whole thing
much. After all, with the new IF, we're not primarily talking about
renderers but something else (IFDocumentHandler/IFPainter).