Hi Martin

On 18.02.2009 07:33:55 Martin Edge wrote:
> Hi Jeremias,
>
> Is this a IF XML structure change? Or merely the way it's being processed?

I'm not sure how much you picked up from the discussions so I'll start
at the beginning (just to be sure):

The "IF branch" introduces a completely new XML-based intermediate
formats for FOP. The old one (the Area Tree XML, the one you use) still
exists with no changes and will continue to be available. I know this
might create some confusion which is why I tried to make it especially
clear in the documentation how they stand to each other and which one
should be used in which case. Both have their use cases. I've updated
the documentation already but it's not live on the website as it's still
only found in the branch. However, you can read through the
documentation sources here:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AreaTreeNewDesign/src/documentation/content/xdocs/trunk/intermediate.xml?view=markup
(please don't look to closely at the name of the branch. It's misleading.)

We continue to use the Area Tree XML format as our primary format for
layout engine tests as it contains more information than the new one.

So in short: the old IF is renamed to "Area Tree XML" (with no changes
to it) and the new IF becomes our main "IF" (a completely new format
optimized for speed).

The API for working with it is a different one although similar to the
Area Tree XML format.

> I make changes to the IF prior to rendering my final document as I need to
> put information on each page generated and be aware of the total amount of
> pages rendered (a barcode as it was).

These IF-related changes are 100% backwards-compatible. Don't worry. The
only thing that might require someone's attention is if someone has a
subclass of one of the deprecated Renderers.

But depending on what you're doing you might want to investigate if the
newly won performance (with the new IF) is actually something you could
profit from. Of course, that will mean some work for you because it's a
different format. But given the performance increase it might be worth
it.

> When you say deprecate following implementations, do you mean the fact that
> the IF previously held some reference on what type of output the IF was
> created for?

What we discuss to deprecate are the Renderer implementation for PDF, PS,
AFP, PCL and TIFF, i.e. PDFRenderer, PSRenderer, AFPRenderer,
PCLRenderer and TIFFRenderer. These classes would be taken off the
service registration file or the RendererFactory class will simply let
the new IFDocumentHandler/IFPainter implementations take precedence if
they are available.

If you select the output format in code through its MIME type, you won't
notice the change. An example: if you select "application/postscript"
now, RendererFactory will instantiate an instance of PSRenderer. After
these changes, RendererFactory will create an IFRenderer instance which
will delegate to the new class PSDocumentHandler (and PSPainter).

> Where can I get more information on this change?

The original idea was developed on this Wiki page:
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/AreaTreeIntermediateXml/NewDesign

The updated documentation (as already mentioned above) can currently be
read from here:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AreaTreeNewDesign/src/documentation/content/xdocs/trunk/intermediate.xml?view=markup

I've also made performance measurements as part of this effort which
highlights why it was done in the first place:
http://people.apache.org/~jeremias/fop/benchmark-2009-02-13/

I hope that clears up everything. If not, please don't hesitate to say
so. I'm actually very happy to see stakeholders speak up. The more
feedback there is the easier it is to make everyone happy (or as happy
as is possible).