Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Hi Vincent,
>
> well, the "print" renderer doesn't really have an official MIME type.
> The result could be paper, PDF, PostScript or whatever. I've given it a
> pseudo MIME type "application/X-fop-print" just so configuration works
> for this renderer, too. So it really depends how you look at it.
>
> But I've just noticed that there's another renderer that really doesn't
> have a MIME type: Java2DRenderer. So, if anyone subclassed
> Java2DRenderer to paint pages in their own Swing application they are
> going to find themselves with a compile error next time they upgrade.
> Actually a reason to put the getMimeType() back in AbstractRenderer.
> However, they have to implement getMimeType() anyway if they want to
> configure the renderer through the XML configuration so probably no harm
> done.

Ok, so the mime type is essentially used for configuration purpose, in
which case leaving it to null simply means that the renderer does not
need that feature.
It makes sense then to have a default implementation in
AbstractRenderer. OTOH, not defining one forces to think about that when
implementing a renderer. Maybe safer.

Thanks for the explanations,