Hi Alex,

second good news today. I guess we need to define what should be covered
by "Open Type". One important aspect is certainly CFF support (which
I've just mentioned to Jonathan a few minutes ago). Another aspect is
what Bertrand Delacrétaz started to look into: ligatures, character
combination and such. CFF should be relatively easy to implement.
Ligature support is going to be much harder as this will have effects
into the layout engine.

OpenType fonts that have TrueType glyphs and don't require the advanced
typographical stuff are already supported today, but many OTF fonts have
CFF glyph data. So that would be the first priority IMO.