I assume the META-INF/services directory doesn't get copied over to the
place where IDEA places its compiled Java classes. If they are not
available through the classpath, no plug-ins are registered and the PDF
renderer is basically just a dynamically loaded plug-in.

Not sure about the hyphenation problem. It's not happening here.