Do I understand that correctly that you propose to put the exact names
of the predefined structure types in the role attribute and map to those
type for tagged PDF? role="H1" would lead to a /H1? I think that should
cover most normal use cases. So +1 from me on that.

In some future luxury version, however, I'd imagine allowing to define a
mapping in fo:declarations (or in the configuration) so people can
really put the original tag names in the role attributes and then use
that mapping to produce the right structure type in tagged PDF.