Hi Andreas,

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 21:42:51 +0100
> Von: Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
> An: fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org
> Betreff: Re: FOP and large documents: out of memory

> On 13 Jan 2010, at 21:27, Stephan Thesing wrote:
> > Our documents include graphics (SVG, PNG), and the serialization with
> "-conserve" throws an exception, because some class in Batik is not
> serializable (e.g. "SVGOMAnimatedString" IIRR), thus the page is missing,
> causing
> FOP to abort later.
> > Thus, Batik would have to be fixed for this.
>
> I think FOP can be 'fixed' for this too. If that is really the only class
> that is causing trouble, then FOP could make a serializable subclass for
> it, and use that in the area tree, instead of Batik's default
> non-serializable implementation. Unless Batik really needs it, why fix it
> there?

I don't think that can work, as that class is used in elements nested in
classes of Batik that represent the SVG.

I.e., FOP never instantiates it, but the Batik code does somewhere along
the way of creating the SVG element that is actually used in the Area tree....
(I am not sure, if it is the only class that cannot be serialized, as the
serialization is aborted as soon as the first non-serializable class is
encountered.)

Best regards
   Stephan

--