Just to have an overview over all output formats:

AFP: Painter available
AWT: Renderer only at the moment (depends on Java2D)
PNG/TIFF: Painter available (depends on Java2D)
Java2D: Painter available
PCL: Painter available
PDF: Painter available
Print: Renderer only at the moment (depends on Java2D)
PS: Painter available
RTF: n/a (Does not use layout engine)
TXT: Renderer only

AT XML: Renderer only but that has to be like that
IF XML: Renderer to Painter adapter present (other painter impls rely on
that)

Essentially, this means that the renderers for AFP, PCL, PDF and PS can
be removed because they are fully replaced by their painter counterparts.
All the other renderers have to stay in place: Java2D/AWT/Print, TXT,
AT XML, IF XML. AWT, Print and TXT are candidates to be ported to the
painter infrastructure.