Hi Martin and Roland,

The FOP team is pleased to accept contributions to FOP, large and
small. Contributions are best submitted as a patch attached to an
issue in our bug tracking system bugzilla,
http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=Fop.

If you plan a larger contribution, such as the one you intend to
develop, it is useful to create a single bugzilla issue, and attach
subsequent patches to it. We will create a Subversion branch for your
project, to which we will add your patches. We will also keep the
branch up to date with respect to the main code (Subversion trunk), so
that integration of your contributions with the main code is tested
automatically.

Our ant build system allows one to test the code with junit,
checkstyle, and findbugs tests. We encourage contributors to run those
tests. We also encourage them to create and submit test cases for
their new functionality or feature and bug fixes.

The use of a subversion branch allows you to submit an early
implementation to FOP, and discard it later. In view of the complexity
of the work, it may be useful to create design documents first, along
with theoretical considerations about the algorithms used. You may
publish these in your own web space, but you may also use FOP's wiki,
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/DeveloperPages, for that
purpose.

The code in our subversion repository is automatically synchronized in
a git repository, git://git.apache.org/fop.git or
https://github.com/apache/fop. See also
http://wiki.apache.org/general/GitAtApache.

For larger contributions, the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) wishes
to have a contributor license of all copyright owners (authors or
their employers) of the submitted code, see
http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas. See also 'How can I
contribute?',
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/dev/faq.html#faq-N1000D. See also
some parts of 'Guide for new committers',
http://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html. This enables the
ASF to release the code under the Apache license version 2. All
contributions must go via patches at bugzilla, so that it is clear
that you submitted them under your contributor license with the ASF.
Therefore, if you would maintain a public git branch or a public
branch in another distributed VC system, we would not pull directly
from it.

Your first steps would be anything you need to do to arrive at your
first submitted patch: design, code, test, submit. You could open a
bugzilla issue early if you wish. You could create a wiki page for
your project and add design documents to it.

We hope to see your contributions to FOP, to the benefit of all its
users.

Best, Simon Pepping