It occurred to me that some might find it congenial to be able to
download a .WAR file that drops into Tomcat or Jetty and provides a
REST (or, perhaps, SOAP?) web service that runs FOP. Using Apache CXF,
this would be a rather straightforward exercise. This would make it
easier to set up FOP once, with whatever configuration appeals to you,
and then use it on your network.

I could bang such a thing together using Apache CXF if you all, who
have a much better sense of how FOP gets used than I do, think it's
worthwhile.

It would be an independent build from the main fop tree, and, warning,
it would get built with Maven.