Hi Guys,

I've been looking into the PS rendering, with an eye to reduce the
size of PS documents. I noticed that when PS documents are created
from concatenated IFs, FOP prints the procsets in a "%%BeginResource:
procset" every time it encounters a <header> tag in the IF. This
doesn't produce invalid PS docs or break any thing else for that
matter, but appears to be completely unnecessary. I checked the DSC
spec (v3 p67), and though this behaviour is allowed, it is intended so
that one can print (to the document) subsets of a large procedure-set
for complex graphical uses. Considering FOP is printing the same
procsets every time, that intended behaviour isn't applicable in FOPs
behaviour. I hacked a quick test to find out if removing these made
any difference what-so-ever to documents, especially with tables with
borders and embedded fonts to utilize a variety of the procedures
defined in the procset. As expected, removing these superfluous
proc-sets makes no difference.

So, my question is thus; is that FOPs problem? This behaviour only
appears to happen when someone concatenates several IFs without any
intelligence to remove the <header> element from the IF (of which,
arguably, there should only be one anyway). I checked the IF schema,
and this suggests there can be zero to unbounded number of <header>
elements, is there any real need for this? Why would you need more
than one header? Is that a bug in the schema?

I appreciate much of this is much over muchness but this behaviour
seems counter-intuitive.

Thanks for the help

Mehdi

P.S. If anyone wishes me to produce an example of this behaviour, I'd
be more than happy to.