On 07 Jun 2011, at 17:43, Vincent Hennebert wrote:

> I’m a bit at a loss to understand why Gump has suddenly started to throw
> this error. The tests run fine on my local copy, both with a Sun and an
> OpenJDK jvm. Could that be that the version of the Xerces library used
> by Gump is not up-to-date? But then, why would that have worked before?
> Any ideas?

Puzzles me as well. At first, I suspected the problem might just be that Gump
uses a more up-to-date Xerces than the one distributed with FOP. We still have
2.7.1 in the lib directory, while the latest available release is 2.11. Then
again, that version was released over 6 months ago...?

>    [junit] java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
>    [junit] Caused by: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
>    [junit]    at
> org.apache.fop.intermediate.AbstractIFTestCase.<clinit>(AbstractIFTestCase.java:80)
>    [junit]    at
> org.apache.fop.intermediate.IntermediateFormatTestSuite.suite(IntermediateFormatTestSuite.java:63)
>    [junit] Caused by: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: InvalidRegex: Pattern
> value '\((solid|dotted|dashed|double|groove|ridge|inset|outset),.+)' is not a
> valid regular expression. The reported error was: 'Wrong character.'.

Could this point to a quirk in util.regex, or its use in the XML Schema
implementation in the version of Open JDK that Gump is compiling with?
At any rate, the starting '\(' does indeed seem to be an invalid escape
sequence (Shouldn't it be '\\(' if it needs to match a literal bracket?)
It is present as-is, on our end in
src/documentation/intermediate-format-ng/fop-intermediate-format-ng-datatypes.xsd.
 I am not an XML Schema expert, but that pattern does seem to be odd. Not sure
why the leading backslash is needed...

That file hasn't changed in over 2 years, though. :-/

Regards

Andreas
---