That is correct. Due to the design of OTF, the font tables are insufficient.
Each Indic script requires its own orthographic syllabization logic. Where
there is common logic, it will be shared in the implementation.

Arabic script has other script specific requirements outside of the font
tables. For example, the determination of whether a character is subject to
certain contextual substitution.

G.