ok, on digging into this further i have found:

(1) luis is correct that embedding is performed by default without the
referenced-fonts element;

(2) in particular, when i add <referenced-fonts><match
font-family="SimSun"/></referenced-fonts> i see the same behavior: glyphs
not found; when i remove, it works fine (and embeds subset);

(3) looking at TTFFontLoader i find the following:

        boolean isCid = this.embedded;
        if (this.encodingMode == EncodingMode.SINGLE_BYTE) {
            isCid = false;
        }

        if (isCid) {
            multiFont = new MultiByteFont();
            returnFont = multiFont;
            multiFont.setTTCName(ttcFontName);
        } else {
            singleFont = new SingleByteFont();
            returnFont = singleFont;
        }

This code assumes that *all* non-embedded fonts are single byte fonts, so
takes the else clause, constructing a SingleByteFont.

Clearly this code is bogus and needs to use other means to determine if the
font is CID keyed or not. In this case, it is CID keyed, and works fine
when embedded is true.

I will open a bug on this.

Thanks Jean-Philippe for your persistence!