> So if I understand well, you are using FOP but not using FO.

Exactly.

> So, why not just use FO to do that?

This was my original approach, but I ran into troubles with memory leaks. It
is described here:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/xmlgraphics-fop-users/201202.mbox/%
3C00c101ccf39a$08fbe1e0$1af3a5a0$@tosov...@email.cz%3E

Additionally, in case of FO I had to
- store image streams into temporary files
- generate temporary FO with all images linked

Currently I prefer as efficient conversion as possible.

I've already deciphered by what class that super.transcode(document, uri,
output) is called - it is Batik's org.apache.batik.transcoder.
SVGAbstractTranscoder.

In meantime I've also found this promising thread:
http://apache-fop.1065347.n5.nabble.com/Generating-a-PDF-by-drawing-to-PDFDo
cumentGraphics2D-td17954.html

Now I investigate it further.

Jan