IIRC, Chris arged that it was hard to upgrade JVM on certain Unix environments.
I didn't found the discussion, but probably was on this list, 2 or 3
monthes ago.

That said, you bring some new arguments that have to be taken into account.
IMHO, that means that we should provide 2 FOP versions:

 - fop 1.x, keeping 1.5 Java support,
 - new fop 2.x, with 1.6 (or earlier?) Java support

Note that today we provide 2 FOP versions (current -- 1.1, and previous -- 1.0)
I think there is no reason to keep both current and previous version
materials on the website. But this will make sense if we have to
provide wider range platform support. (thought a little out of topic
here...)

--
pascal