[ 
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOP-2495?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=14621007#comment-14621007
 ] 

MH edited comment on FOP-2495 at 7/9/15 6:25 PM:
-------------------------------------------------

I understand your point. So if I would delete all the problems, what would be 
the result? The result would be: "oh sure - and can you proof it?". So I added 
just the examples that were show stoppers because I had to try out and browse 
the internet to get bits of pieces to finally get it to run. So, as the topic 
is almost self explainable, the comments just show various examples what APIs 
need to be documented.


was (Author: mhilpert):
I understand your point. So if I would delete all the problems, what would be 
the result? The result would be: "oh sure - and can you proof it?". So I added 
just the examples that were show stoppers because I had to try out and browse 
the internet to get bits of peaces to finally get it to run. So, as the topic 
is almost self explainable, the comments just show various examples what APIs 
need to be documented.

> Embedding: missing migration documentation from FOP 1.x
> -------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: FOP-2495
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOP-2495
>             Project: FOP
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: documentation
>    Affects Versions: 2.0
>         Environment: WIndows, Java 8, FOP 1.0
>            Reporter: MH
>            Priority: Blocker
>              Labels: documentation
>
> Because of bug FOP-2177 we couldn't upgrade form FOP 1.0 to FOP 1.1. FOP 2.0 
> has solved this bug (tested with standalone FOP scripts).
> Now we would like to upgrade our Java code from FOP 1.0 to FOP 2.0. The 
> Upgrading page (https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/2.0/upgrading.html) says 
> "You should encounter very few issues in upgrading from FOP 1.0, except as 
> noted in the following: ...". The truth is completely different: starting by 
> replacing fop.jar, our code gets dozens of compiler errors! Many methods are 
> simply gone:
> FopFactory.newInstance()
> FoUserAgent.setBaseURL(String);
> FopFactory.getFontManager().setFontBaseURL(String)
> FopFactory.setURIResolver(URIResolver);
> etc.
> The javadocs from 1.1 to 2.0 simple changed - no deprecated methods, no hints 
> how to replace old methods.
> The FOP 2.0 embedding page 
> (https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/2.0/embedding.html) just shows simple 
> examples to start from the ground. I can't find any migration help how to 
> replace old code. 
> E.g. how can I set the font base? 
> FopFactory.getFontManager().setFontBaseURL(String) is gone and I can't find 
> any equivalent code for FOP 2.0!
> This is a major bug in FOP 2.0 as API changes are not documented to upgrade 
> from FOP 1.x Java API to FOP 2.0!
> Now I just can search and try and experiment if I get our old code somehow 
> running with all those undocumented API changes. Can you please state a 
> migration documentation for all methods (method signatures) that don't exist 
> anymore? We can't start coding all over again from scratch. Thank you very 
> much!



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.3.4#6332)

Reply via email to