I've gotten a little further on this, now I'm able to obtain correct print and
AWT output if I modify the method:

public boolean updateClip(Shape cl)

of the class:

org.apache.fop.render.java2d.Java2DGraphicsState

to never intersect new clips with older ones, this is most probably the wrong
solution, since there might be cases when the intersect is really necessary,
but at least for my use case it might be enough, i do not need any fancy
rounding to the edges of the document, and AWT most probably do not support
them anyway.

I'm not sure if it will be useful to add a patch with this modification to the
bug, assuming I do not find any failing test cases, I still need to setup the
junit bits for those.

Thank you again,
Luca.