On 09/27/2017 09:44 AM, Chris wrote:
I'm finding your tone pretty aggressive, but will attempt to answer despite that...

Since Fonts vendors can build the codepages anyway they choose, we cannot simply build a static map that takes Unicode and maps to any custom codepage. Thus the user must specify non standard code points
or build/acquire other fonts

This is a legacy of 1970s AFP technology.  There is a codepage
titled T111200 in AFP land that can be acquired to meet the
requirement of keeping the codepoints Unicode for AFP output. I've
spoken to a couple of fonts vendors about building fonts for that
code page. There are partial fonts in existence that do provide
Glyphs for part of the Unicode range, but building a complete one is
a mammoth task and they were quoting six figure $ sums to do so.

Unless the OP has such a font, then the solution using his current Characterset and Codepage is to use the codepoint x55

I apologize if my tone came across wrong.

However, as Glenn notes, XML numeric references are unambiguous; 3 is always an exclamation point.

For an analogous example, the advice to generate a capital delta used to be to type a D but assign the Symbol font; now we know better, and can actually type Δ, and be unambiguous about what we mean.

I appreciate that AFP is antique and mapping is difficult. But the mapping belongs somewhere outside the input FO-XML; if someone knows that a particular font needs to map 0x33 to 0x55, then a mapping file will not only keep that information separate from the input, it will also make it easier to share among users of that font.

Respectfully,
Chris
--
Chris Maden, text nerd