GitHub user aanno opened a pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/fop/pull/43

    FOP-2733: remove avalon

    I removed avalon (a project that is dead for over a decade now) from the
code base. For this to happen, I've written a clean-room (i.e. I didn't looked
at the avalon code) implementation of the few bits of avalon that are still in
use by FOP. After that I fixed the tests.

    Apart from some minor stuff that is only used for testing, the main thing
of avalon that was still in use was the Configuration stuff.

    I also renamed the packages name of the (now embeded) avalon stuff like
this:

    * `org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration` moved to
`org.apache.fop.configuration`
    * `org.apache.avalon.framework.activity` moved to `org.apache.fop.activity`
    * `org.apache.avalon.framework.container`also moved to
`org.apache.fop.activity`

    This rename is completely optional, i.e. if there are concerns against it,
I will update my change request and keep the original package names.

    I would be glad if you could consider my patch for merge into the `trunk`
branch.

    Kind regards,

    aanno

    $ git pull https://github.com/aanno/fop feature/pr-remove-avalon-1

    https://github.com/apache/fop/pull/43.patch

    This closes #43

----
commit 6ea0e7f79e4f5fd4056c727bd786db53b61b5ffd