Jean-Michel,

When text is drawn by batik it actually draws the text as a set of curves
and lines. This is the default behaviour.
This results in a large amount of data, each character may need a number of
curves. Compared with normal text it only needs one character per character
plus a small overhead.

This means that the resulting pdf is independant of any fonts but also as
you pointed out it is rather large. I have started some code that writes
the text as text in the pdf. It is only a start because the problem is
rather complicated. It also means that you fonts will be restricted.
How you can use it depends on how you are calling the transformer. There is
a transcoding hint.

Keiron.