xsl:choice is not a xsl element, you probably mean xsl:choose
RH
At 02:38 PM 12/7/01 -0800, you wrote:
Edward

#1 You should be sending these questions to the XSL list
#2 You need to use a dot at the front of your query so that the current context is set (.//eraname)

Chuck

Edward Dowgiallo wrote:

I seem to be not getting the intended use of xsl:choice.

The following stylesheet segment causes fop to terminate with the message: ...; Line 78 Column 25; [ERROR]: null

<fo:block font-family="Helvetica" font-size="18pt" text-align="end">
<xsl:choice>
<xsl:when test="//eraname">
<xsl:value-of select="//eraname"/>
</xsl:when>
<xsl:when test="//conflictname">
<xsl:value-of select="//conflictname"/>
</xsl:when>
<xsl:otherwise>
<xsl:text>History of the World</xsl:text>
</xsl:otherwise>
<xsl:choice>
</fo:block>

1st, a more verbose error message would be useful.

2nd, What I am trying to do is find out if the current element contains an element named "eraname", if it does I want to use the value of the element "eraname"

If it doesn't I want to check if the current element contains a child element named "conflictname", if it does I want to use the value of the element "conflictname".

If it doesn't I want to slap in some boiler plate text.

The xml file being processed when this fails does contain the child element "eraname".

I'd be more than happy to use a workaround here.

Thank you,

Ed

Salience B.V.

Ronald Heller