Title: Using FOP in an applet ?
CONS:  transfer of huge libraries to client
PRO: This is done only one time ; This is an Extranet (there is a finite number of client) ; it saves a lot of data transfert.

CONS:  fop generation very memory intensive (very frustrating for the client, because the PC is blocked up. With a server side solution, the PC is not blocked up.. he/she can read mails, etc)
PRO: In my particular case client should have recent PC  and  the server is already very charged.

CONS: not tested technology
PRO: innovativ solution :-)

Unless someone point out a real technical problem,  I think I should try it ?
I don't think it will be much slower on the client (>PC 500MHz 128Mo)  than on the server.