On 02/06/02 5:00, "ewitness - Ben Fowler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > It should be a general goal of Open Source projects to be backwards
 compatible. My understanding is that it should be possible to
 use a tool like ant to extract a Java 1.1 subset.
It is possible but it means that you're trading features for compatibility.
The things that come to mind the most are vectors and collections at this
point... As Keiron Lidle mentioned in another message, the source is
available. You can only be so backwards compatible.

Yes. I have had to remove a lot of the collections stuff, and the whole of Batik (which is a nuisance, but if i have the facility to import graphics, I would use it). Currenlty I have modified (bent) the PDF Renderer to do what I want when I want it, which makes my copy of the renderer useless to anybody else.

Though the two examples you gave are perhaps the most obvious, the
biggest problem was with 'java.awt.Dimension: method getHeight()'
et cetera.

Your other point is correct, I may need over the medium term
to arrange to extract what I need from the sources.

Ben.