Interesting problem!
(as fas as the empty browser window after requested pdf data is sent back to
the browser is concerned)

These may be the problems I have noticed in my test environment.
PDF generation code worked till last test and suddenly not any more although
code was not modified concering the PDF generation... there has been a
browser update since that!

my test url entered in the browser was
http://localhost:8080/fopwelcomeservlet?xml=/c:/XML_SPACE/form_lohnsteuer_sa
mpledata_without_dtd_ref.xml&xsl=/c:/XML_SPACE/form_lohnsteuer_fo.xsl&fo=/c:
/XML_SPACE/testdata.fo

internet explorer versions do match (also IE 5.5 used on test client)
fop version 2.20.2
server is tomcat version used by jbuilder 5

I had not time to check the details of this problem yet und I may not be
able to do that before monday but it would nice to keep each other up to
date...

I think it should >>NOT<< be necessary to code a workaround like you
proposed, even if it may work the way you say.

Regards, Michael