From: J.Pietschmann [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 11:30 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Adding columns using XSL

Josh Campbell wrote:
> I've got a column of numbers being pulled out of XML that I want to
> total at the bottom of the page using the XSL.
> I don't know how many rows of figures will be generated so need
> something that can just take all the values in a column and add them up
Check out the sum() function:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#section-Number-Functions
If your XML is something like this
  <records>
    <record>
    <record>
    </record>
    </record>
  </records>
use it like
   <xsl:template match="records">
     <xsl:text>Total: </xsl:text>
     <xsl:value-of select="sum(record/price)"/>
   </xsl:template>
If your problem is more complicated, ask on the XSL list
(http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/), because you
have an XSLT problem rather than a FOP problem. Provide
some more details: a relevant snippet of your XML, and how
to derive the "total" you are after. If your computation
involves something like price*quantity per record, look
into the list archives first.

J.Pietschmann