I am having trouble getting FOP to recognize a Type I font
(Helvetica-Light).

I followed the instructions on the web page
(http://xml.apache.org/fop/fonts.html) to generate the attached font metrics
file from the hvl_____.pfm file from Adobe.

 <<hvl_____.xml>>
I added the following element definition to the conf/userconfig.xml file
inside the <fonts> element:
weight="normal"/>

I also tried the above with an absolute path to the metrics file, but it
made no difference.

When I run FOP with the following command line:
>fop -c c:\fop-0.20.3\conf\userconfig.xml sample_getting_started.fo
sample_getting_started.pdf

the following errors result:
>java -cp
c:\fop-0.20.3\build\fop.jar;c:\fop-0.20.3\lib\batik.jar;c:\fop-0.20.3\lib\xa
lan-2.0.0.jar;c:\fop-0.20
.3\lib\xerces-1.2.3.jar;c:\fop-0.20.3\lib\avalon-framework-4.0.jar;c:\fop-0.
20.3
\lib\logkit-1.0.jar;c:\fop-0.20.3\lib\jimi-1.0.jar org.apache.fop.apps.Fop
-c c:
\fop-0.20.3\conf\userconfig.xml sample_getting_started.fo
sample_getting_started
.pdf
[INFO]: FOP 0.20.3
[INFO]: building formatting object tree
[INFO]: [1]
[ERROR]: defaulted font to any,normal,normal
[ERROR]: unknown font Helvetica-Light,normal,lighter so defaulted font to
any
[...]
[INFO]: Parsing of document complete, stopping renderer

Am I doing something wrong or is this not supported?