First, what if I don't want Batik available for all of the webapps on the
Tomcat server.

Secondly, from the "manual"

-----------------------------

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html

As mentioned above, the web application class loader diverges from the
default Java 2 delegation model (in accordance with the recommendations in
the Servlet Specification, version 2.3, section 9.6). When a request to load
a class from the web application's WebappX class loader is processed, this
class loader will look in the local repositories first, instead of
delegating before looking. All other class loaders in Tomcat 4 follow the
usual delegation pattern.

Therefore, from the perspective of a web application, class or resource

/WEB-INF/classes of your web application
/WEB-INF/lib/*.jar of your web application
Bootstrap classes of your JVM
System class loader classses (described above)
$CATALINA_HOME/common/classes
$CATALINA_HOME/common/lib/*.jar
$CATALINA_HOME/classes
$CATALINA_HOME/lib/*.jar

Looks like something to bring up on the Tomcat list.