mmm wrong info, you might be confused by another project call REXP.

RenderX is a commercial tool that is not slower nor faster than FOP in absolute. It depends on the complexity of your document and on the FO feature you are using.

Fop is easy to use, REC compliant and fast for non web large document. It is also open sourced and free. It also support SVG through Batik ! Tons of good points :))
RenderX has more FO feature implemented regarding the current spec, also it is sometimes under FOP regarding some (long tables).

What is the choice ? All FO processor have memory consumption issues. The weak point.

As for me Fop is the answer even though RenderX team has done some nice job.

Cyril