I went through this too. I also tried borders on list cells (not pretty but it might have been enough of a workaround for me) - didn't work either. You can fake all this with tables and cell block borders if your text is static and you have time on your hands (you need to calculate column widths manually). Otherwise I think you're looking at one of the other renderers.

I found a slightly haphazard but pretty conclusive list of all of these. Of course, the site is down now, but google's got it cached:

http://216.239.33.100/search?q=cache:_8Rgoq_9tCgC:www.xmlsoftware.com/xslfo/+xsl+formatters+at+XMLSOFTWARE&hl=en

The cheapest commercial renderer I saw was ~$3k I believe. And XEP was $10k for a dual processor server ($5k per CPU)... IBM has the only plausible free alternative to FOP that I know of. I haven't played with it very much. It's here...

http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/xfc

-David