[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I'm having the same problem.  This could be a stylesheet configuration
problem.  When I run my XML through Xalan my ASCII entity references get
mapped to there names.  So if my XML contains É when I run it through
Xalan it puts é in my .fo file.  Then when I try to render the FO it
doesn't know what é is.

2 step process
Run XML file through XSL to generate .fo file (É get's mapped to
é)
Run .fo file through FOP to generate .pdf (FOP don't know é)

Is there a way to stop Xalan from converting ASCII entity references to
there names?

You simply have to use the XML output method: <xsl:output method="xml"/> This is, BTW, the default.

Check whether you have set the output method to HTML.
Check included and imported XSL files as well. If you
run the processor embedded, check also the code whether
it sets it (this overrides the declaration in the XSL
file).

My stylesheet is declared like this
<xsl:stylesheet
  version="1.0"
  xmlns:lxslt="http://xml.apache.org/xslt";
  xmlns:redirect="org.apache.xalan.xslt.extensions.Redirect"
  xmlns:pdf="class:PDFWriter"
  xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";
  extension-element-prefixes="redirect pdf"
  exclude-result-prefixes="lxslt">

These are namespaces and have no influence on the output format whatsoever. However, why do you need the redirect and pdf namespaces? Are you triggering FOP from within the XSLT file? There are easier ways to do this...

J.Pietschmann