Eric Smith wrote:
Is there a way to get xml escaped characters to render in svg's?
All my xml escapes of foreign language chars in svg's render as
literal question marks.  (The same escapes render fine when in xsl:fo).

I suppose you mean character references, like •.

You can try to select a font which has glyphs for the
characters in question. Standard fonts usually don't
have glyphs for what are probably foreign characters to
you (there will be people for which they aren't foreign).

AFAIK Batik, which is used in FOP for rendering SVG, uses
Java fonts for rendering, check with the Batik people for
how to check for and install the fonts you want.

It may be possible to use FOP fonts by setting strokeSVGText
to false, see
 http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=100525746417127&w=2

J.Pietschmann